UT ID Card Online Photo Submission Guidelines
The UT ID Card’s online photo submission process enables UT Austin students, faculty, staff, retirees, and sponsored affiliates to upload a photo to be used on their UT ID Card.
All photos are subject to approval and MUST meet the following requirements:
ID Card Photo Requirements
Following these requirements will lead to faster approval.
- Clear, in focus, digital color photo with uniform lighting, is properly exposed with no shadows, captures skin tones accurately, and taken in the last 6 months
- Full-face image, looking straight-on, centered, with squared shoulders to the camera and without head tilting
- Both eyes open with a neutral expression or natural smile
- Photo cropped from above the top of the head to just below the shoulders
- Photo may not be edited or changed in a way that alters identifiable facial features
- Visible shirt or blouse
Additional Requirements (if applicable):
- May wear prescription eyeglasses (without glare)
- May wear head coverings worn daily for religious beliefs or medical reasons as long as the item does not obscure facial features
- Do not submit a photo of another photo
- Do not wear a hat, mask, sunglasses, hoodie, headphones, or other accessories
- No inappropriate expressions or gestures
- Hair and shadows should not obscure face or eyes
- No other people or objects in the photo
Acceptable Photo Examples
|Natural Smile / No Glare||Neutral Expression||Natural Smile||Natural Smile|
Unacceptable Photo Examples
|Busy background / Eyes Closed / Hand Gesture / Unnatural Smile||Sunglasses||Hat / Low Light / Floating Head||Black & White Filter|
How to Submit Your ID Card Photo
If you submit multiple photos, multiple ID Cards may be printed and you will be financially responsible for any additional $10 card charges.
- Click on the “Submit Your Photo” button below
- Log in with your EID and password
- Approve multi-factor authentication request (DUO), if prompted
- Use your device (smart phone, tablet, etc.) to take your photo (selfie) or upload a recent existing photo
- Compare your photo to the requirements
- A Helper Bot will give you instant feedback on your photo and will auto rotate, crop, and remove the background on your photo
- You will see a "Pending Approval" notification above your photo, indicating your photo has been submitted for approval
After Your ID Card Photo is Submitted
- Once you finalize and submit your photo, ID Center staff will review your submission during business hours
- Usually within one (1) to two (2) business days, you will receive an email notifying you whether your photo was accepted or rejected by the ID Center
- Once your photo has been accepted, ID Center staff will print your ID Card and you will receive an email notification, usually within two (2) business days, that it is ready for pick up.
Please visit the ID Center ONLY AFTER you receive an email confirming
that your ID card has been printed and is available for pick up.
During high-volume periods, such as fall rush, please allow up to a week for your ID Card to be printed.
When a photograph is submitted for the issuance of a UT ID Card, the digitized photo will be stored electronically for identification and security purposes. Identification information collected for the production of the ID card and may be used by the University of Texas to verify identity, support the safety and security of campus resources, and support the mission of the University.